Thursday, July 17, 2008

Mediocrity?

One thing is for sure: we really dislike Fr. Arcilla as a History professor. He's better off being an English professor since he is so particular about grammar, mechanics, and writing style.

He returned our first long tests earlier this morning. The questions I got during the test was alright, but I was not confident enough that I would be getting a high mark for my answer. I know the answer very well, it was just that I was not very much able to explain it the best way. I psyched myself over the past week that I would be receiving a C, and I did. I was relieved that I did not fail the test, and I did not receive a grade with a minus to it. Fr. Arcilla explained to us his policy: if a grade had a minus, the grade of the succeeding long test must be higher or equal to the grade with the minus. In the event that it is lower, then the grade with the minus would drop to the lower bordering grade. He said that if anyone was to get a B- and got a C in the next test, then the B- turns into a C. But if a B is acquired in the next one, the B- loses its minus and turns to a B.

It is unfair that he has a policy like this. Getting a good final mark is very difficult in his class since he has only four tests in which your grades could get lower all of a sudden, in addition to him being a very closed-minded person and boring.

As I laid on my bed when I arrived home, I started to wonder what has happened to me over the past years. I looked back on my high school years. Was the curriculum back then just easier than my academic workload today? Or is something else the matter?

I don't know. I'm tired of it already, and I want to enjoy the momentary freedom of not worrying about deadlines tomorrow.

No comments: