Thursday, October 16, 2008

Beat the Polygraph: The Moment of Truth (First Pulse)


The Moment of Truth is a game show wherein contestants, before the show, are asked fifty or more questions while they are connected to a polygraph. The contestants are asked to answer the questions as truthfully as they can, as the results of the test are not revealed to the contestants. During the show, he or she is asked twenty-one questions from the pool of questions they were asked during the lie-detector test. The questions progressively get more and more personal, and the contestant only has to answer these questions as truthfully as they can to win the half million dollars.

I was watching an episode of The Moment of Truth earlier this evening. It was amusing to watch the female contestant in her despair as she tried to contain her emotions. She endlessly shifted her bottom on her seat. She always sighed a big breath of relief whenever the female voice would say the word "TRUE". The questions revolved around her relationship with her current husband, which apparently was not her first, second, or third spouse. Very personal questions were thrown at her, but she all answered those truthfully. Her reveal that she would not marry her husband if he didn't had the money won her $100,000. But the question that made her win $200,000 was about her mother. She answered no when she was asked the question if her mother was terminally ill and wanted to end her life, would she do it or not.

As I was silently laughing at her struggle, thoughts came to my head. I told myself that one has no reason to worry if in all his or her life, he or she did not do anything that is against his or her conscience, or something embarrassing for the matter. I wondered what would happen to me if I was the one seated in that modern seat, being barraged with questions pertaining to the most private aspects of my life. Will I shift endlessly in the seat as well? Will I get teary-eyed when the host asks me a question about something that I never thought of even saying to my family?

Are people that desperate for money that they are willing to throw away their dignity and risk the most important relationships they have in their lives?

No comments: