Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Thousand Cranes

It is said in Japanese folklore that a thousand paper cranes would not only bring blessed hope and good fortune, but could also grant any one wish a person desires. When a little girl confined in a hospital somewhere in Tokyo heard of this, she immediately started to make paper cranes. Day and night, she did nothing but tear paper to squares, creasing, and folding old newspapers she begged inside the hospital. She wanted all the sick people to be well again, but sadly, she passed away before she reached halfway. She silently embraced her paper cranes as her family weeped in sorrow.

Each time I make a paper crane, I remember the statue dedicated to that little girl with a very kind and generous heart. I sometimes ask myself what I would wish for if I actually manage to create a thousand paper cranes. I ask myself if I would believe that the thousand paper cranes I made would bring my wishes towards the sky.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nakagawa na rin ako ng 2 paper cranes !!! weee!! ahehehe