Friday, December 12, 2008

10th Mix to V3

After almost four years, the Drum machine in Timezone Gateway was finally upgraded into the more recent version. I have been playing on the 10th Mix since I started playing Drummania, and when I tried out the newly upgraded machine this afternoon, I was all but in a state of mild shock and disbelief.

It started yesterday, when the Kuya (whose name I still do not know) whom I lent my sticks to when he played on the drums told me that the 10th mix machine was to be replaced by something newer. He described how hit looked like, and his description mislead me into thinking that the machine was to be replaced by something like the drums of Guitar Hero or Rock Band. As I played the final song, questions started to fill my head. I kept asking myself if it was alright for the machine which I grew so used to to leave. I was eaten by my worries that in the near future, Timezone will not hold the songs which I grew to like and sing almost each and every passing day. As I constantly pedalled the bass, I tried to remember the very first song I played in that same machine. After the final staircase roll and hitting the final strikes on the ride cymbal, I asked myself if I am ready for a change. With questions boggling my head, I bid Kuya goodbye as I thanked him for the game he replaced for me. You see, the old machine hanged in the third stage, so I got to play six songs instead of just the usual four.

This afternoon, after going to the Timezone on the Fastfood level, I went up the escalator to the Timezone on that floor. Everything seemed normal. Everything felt the usual. As I approached the machine I used to love and play my emotions out, I immediately noticed something very, very different. The pink signboard installed on top of the machine now glistened with a strong shade of steel blue. The carnival-like face of the text was replaced by a strong font resembling the future. The machine looked particularly the same: the hihat, snare, low and high toms, the ride cymbal, and the bass pedal were still there. The monitor was still the big 29" screen. The smelly sticks and the high seat still remained. But the essence of the machine changed into something more update, more powerful, and more radical.

Drummania 10th Mix became Drummania V3.

I was really, really surprised. The sudden change caught me off-guard. Kuya then approached and told me that they spent the whole night upgrading the machine. Even if he had already told me that the machine was to be upgraded, I was not expecting it as soon as the following day.

The four-song swipe is now only three songs.

The interface looks so different that what I was used to. The different shades of blue is so remote from the various tinges of pink I grew accustomed to. A lot of songs has been added, and to tell the truth, I only know two of the over thirty new songs.


I played twice. I hesitated at first, but after the first song, I played entirely in manual mode. I was surprised that I didn't fail. Well I almost did. Just almost, but
somehow, I pulled it through.

I started to believe in myself.




I am reluctant to change, but with this shallow incident along with the many things that are happening to me, I am slowly seeing why change is the only permanent thing in the world.

No comments: