Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Load Revision Form (Accounting Department's Copy)

Fate really did shine a smile on me. But the catch was that fate smiled in a manner in which I had a hard time deciding if it was a sinister snicker or a great break in my schedule. After a whole epoch of thinking, feeling, and deciding, that smile eroded and turned into nothing but absolute oblivion.

Yesterday, I hurried to the Department of History located at Leong Hall right after my first class. I was preparing myself that my request was denied since it really looked that way. The department was a little chilly as I entered, probably because I was perspiring a bit. Two students were sitting at the lounge since the secretary who I mistakenly hated for her department's stupid protocol wasn't there. So I sat beside them, at glanced across the bulletin boards mounted on the walls. Something caught my attention: a memo with the words "Deadlines for Load Revision" printed at the top. My heart leaped a heartbeat or two as I scurried in my seat and approached the bulletin board. It was true; the deadline for changing sections was on Thursday, June 12, 2008. It was weird that I wasn't saddened by this fact. It could probably due to the fact that I'm already prepared to face the monster deluge of difficulty summoned by Fr. Arcilla, but nontheless, I left the department since I was already late for my next class. But as I left the chilly room, I felt a little disappointed. I hurried to Faura while the sun scorched my scalp and roasted my legs inside my jeans.

After my second class and after eating lunch, I went to the History Department once again. The secretary was already there, and she handed over the envelope I gave her a day before. It was only that time that I noticed she was pregnant. I was so sure that my request was denied, that I was noticing other things I haven't noticed before, like the fake flowers in the vase placed on top of the table of the pregnant secretary.

While I was engaging myself in a field trip inside my mind, the secretary mumbled something I didn't quite understand. I begged her pardon and politely asked what was the matter.

"Pakitinggin na lang sa labas yung schedule."

Huh?

I opened the envelope and stared at the form. I was granted a buffered slot in section D. I shuffled my feet and hurried outside to look at the schedule of section D. My heart was beating at an increased pace. The tension was killing me, and at last, I saw section D which was instructed by Mr. Ambeth Ocampo in CTC105.

But I wasn't anything near happy when I saw its schedule. Utter disbelief ravaged my poor brain. I trembled a little in sheer disappointment. I read the schedule numerous times, hoping that it would change each time I read it. Much to my dismay, the print remained "TTh 1630-1800 CTC105".

I wanted to change my section in Hi165 because of my six hour Thursday schedule. If I move to section D, my Tuesdays would have a six-and-a-half hour break. Fate sure does smile in a weird, if not sadistic way.

I entered the department once again and asked if I could not pursue changing my sections. She bluntly told me to just not complete the load revision process any longer, and I would still be in section B, TTh 1030-1200 in BEL308. She also told me that I could still process the signatures, even if the deadline was a day ago.

I wasn't sure what I was supposed to feel.

After a whole lot of thought placed on the matter, I decided not to change sections anymore. The six hour break is much more unbearable than my six hour class schedule.

What a pain. What a real pain this has become. But at least it's now over.

I went home at around 7 pm after a much needed excursion to Gateway. Sleep was fighting my consciousness, but I managed to stay awake until around 1 am. After taking a heavy dose of antihistamines to reduce my allergy, I fell asleep. In my dreams, the LRF loomed over my head, flying closer and closer to the sun, until it burned away into ashes that will be buried in the sands of the past.

No comments: