Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Load Revision Form (ADAA's Copy)

Now, I face my mirror mirror on the wall in hopes of a clear and strong resolve in the epic failure I will be facing. As it turns out, the evil Load Rev form isn't as docile as it seemed. Shifting sections isn't as easy as I saw it last Tuesday. Procuring one's dreams for a more comfortable life without any immediate risks involved only happens in a fairy tale, and not in the real world. I was so deluded in my visionary dreams caused by the ease of acquiring a signature. The LRF suddenly turned into a vicious beast that sucked all my happiness as soon as I called it a friend that would aid me in the rough seas I would be sailing.

I woke up early this morning and went to school earlier than usual. I arrived at Katipunan at about 9:30 am, an hour earlier than my first class. I wanted to accomplish my Load Rev as soon as possible so that I wouldn't need to catch up in terms of lessons of my new section, since the first few meetings are spent doing introductions or discussing the syllabus of the course. I directly went to the Office of Admissions and Aid to acquire my first necessary signature, and ask a few questions as well. As soon as Ate Tin returned to me my LRF with the "Admissions" field duly signed by her, I headed towards Leong Hall, the new building where the offices of the School of Social Sciences are located. As I climbed to the second floor, I constantly checked the requirements for me to successfully shift sections. I rechecked my list of possible Hi165 classes, their locations, and the instructors involved. I grabbed the cold doorknob of the department, turned it carefully, and gently opened the door. As I slowly closed the door with the giant glass pane in its center, I felt the air-conditioned atmosphere the History professors were spending their time outside their respective classes. The refreshing cooled air felt extremely different from the severity of the heat outside which baked everything its rays crossed paths with. I approached the secretary's desk, and asked for Fr. Arcilla since his signature was my next agenda.

"Ay, pakitingin na lang po yung guidelines sa Load Revision sa corkboard sa labas. Thanks."

I stepped outside and read their memo which escaped my eyes moments before. Then, beads of sweat started to form all over my body which slightly trembled in sheer disbelief.

The History Department under the School of Social Sciences in the Loyola Schools of the Ateneo de Manila University made shifting of sections a herculean task not fit for the weak of heart. The department was telling me that the LRF is something not for students whose determination was not solidly fortified to their will.

I was being asked by their policy to collect the needed signatures, and submit the LRF along with a photocopy of my Assessment Form and a copy of my class schedule, all of which placed inside a properly labeled brown envelope. It was up to the Department of History to discern whether my reason for shifting my classes was eligible, and they were the ones deciding which Hi165 class I will be transferring to. This policy of theirs was very, very different to the one recognized by the school, and by the student handbook.

I am currently in a situation where I want to shift out from my current Hi165 class due to its schedule and its proximity to the classes before and after it, but I'm afraid that my new class wouldn't be better than my current class as of now. I feel trapped inside a time-containing space wherein history keeps repeating itself over and over and over again, but in an increasingly irritating fashion smothered with monotony.

My LRF remains unfinished. My resolve remains deterred. The reality of it leaves me disturbed.

No comments: